Re: sh(1) and ksh(1) default PATH

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 21:41:08 +0000, David Holland wrote:
> Argument 2:
> the stuff in base is canonical and it's wrong for random whatnot to
> arbitrarily override it. I admit I don't fully understand argument 2 [...]

To give an arbitrary example: I had ${PREFIX}/{s,}bin first in PATH at
one point. A Kerberos pkgsrc package installed a su(1), which for
whatever reason didn't work (I don't use Kerberos).

Until pkgsrc prefixes any tools that duplicate base tools, or we grow a
viable alternatives system, that will remain a problem. And I am not
sure the above cures are any better than the problem.

Cheerio,
Hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>