Re: fidocrypt(1): `storing' cgd keys on U2F/FIDO keys

On 2022-08-06 21:22 EDT, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
To be clear, fidocrypt(1) is not a general-purpose credential manager.
A fidocrypt file on disk stores a _single_ secret, which can be opened
by any one of the U2F/FIDO devices registered with the file.

Yep, caught that, I was just trying to extrapolate to directly-interactive use cases. A better one, you're right!, upon reflection, would be hardware or software key unlocking of encrypted file systems during boot.

cgdconfig runs early at boot before most file systems are mounted --
often before the file systems on which any packages are installed are
mounted.  The cgdroot ramdisk, for instance, has a very minimal NetBSD
userland in a ramdisk just to configure cgd(4) volumes before mounting
the `real' root from them and chrooting into it.  fidocrypt could be
baked into this ramdisk.

Makes sense to me! (Thanks for entertaining the question.)

--
Gabriel Rosenkoetter (he/him)
gr%eclipsed.net@localhost