Re: sysupgrade in src?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 10:56:00AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 08:21:00AM +0000, nia wrote:
> > There's been a few discussions over the years about the need for a
> > usable-over-ssh binary upgrade tool for NetBSD, but they haven't gone
> > very far.
>
> I don't object to your idea (and I have never used it).
>
> My own prefered method requires none of what you mentioned though (and
> I'm open for suggestions to improve it):
>
>  (1) manually update the kernel (and modules if needed), reboot
>  (2) run the already installed sysinst and select "Upgrade" and then
>      "currently running system"
>  (3) manually run etcupdate
>
> I have been considering to add a sysinst option to do (1), but it only
> is as straight forward as it sounds if you have no special boot setup.
> I would be interested to see how sysupgrade deals with that (and my
> guess is it won't work for most of my own machines).

I'd be really happy if this process was simplified for the general cases,
the number of manual steps makes it a bit fiddle though.

Would you be interested in writing a very short step-by-step on this
process, with the idea that it would be included in the release notes /
announcement for 10.0, as a set of commands a novice user could run?

Another issue on ports like ARM is that the kernel can be in multiple
formats that are used depending on the boot method...