to bump or note to bump

Folks,

This started out innocuously enough, I picked up a PR about fileobj from
pkgsrc not working properly.  This was partially an upstream problem but
also an issue with our curses chgat() function.  After a bit of digging
I found two things.  Firstly, every other colour capable implementation
of curses seems to use colour pair 0 as the default colour - our implementation
set the default pair to the last pair.  Secondly, without looking at our
libcurses code and exploiting access to a static variable there is
simply no way of actually using the default colour pair in our libcurses.

Given these findings I embarked on changing the default colour pair
number to be 0.  This actually turned out to be a lot harder than it
first seems because the refresh code used a colour pair of 0 to mean
"don't apply colour at all" along with a bunch of initialisation issues
where the initial colour set wouldn't happen.  After a bit of rework I
have all the curses tests passing (some output is different now of
course) and using the updated code seems to work fine.  Certainly, the
original issue with fileobj is gone.

The reason I am putting this out here is that there are now some visual
differences, mainly with the colour of the background.  In some curses
applications the assume_default_colors extension is used and the colours
set to -1 (another curses extension that means "no colour").  Previously
in NetBSD curses this had no effect, the terminal remained in white
foreground and black background but now this request is honoured the
terminal default colour scheme is used.

So, the point of all this blather is even though there have been no
interface changes as a result of my work there is the potential for a
significant visual change.  Should I mark this with a libcurses major
bump? I don't think it necessary but I am putting it out there for
discussion...

--
Brett Lymn
--