Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 11:16:16PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> Broadly I think I can summarise to the following options:
>
>  1. The existing critical_filesystems_zfs rc.conf variable, which
>     mixes ZFS configuration in both rc.conf and with ZFS itself.
>  2. Add ZFS "critical" properties for filesystems and mount those
>     in /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal .
>  3. Move all ZFS mounts to /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal .
>  4. Optionally move all ZFS mounts to /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal
>     controlled by an rc.conf variable (eg zfs_critical).
>  5. Move all local mounts to /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal (ala
>     FreeBSD) and possibly rename this to /etc/rc.d/mountlocal .
>  6. "Intelligent" ordering based on prefixes, tsort, etc.

> Option 6 I think is out of scope of what I want to get root-on-ZFS
> working.  That doesn't stop others from fleshing this out of course!

Option 6 seems to as the most sane thing to do as it auto orders the mounts. I
am not actually using ZFS in practice but what would prevent this from working
with ZFS? If ZFS needs some setup it ought to be done I guess before /
remounting.

Reinoud