Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

Brad Spencer wrote:

> Simon Burge <simonb%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > I'm using ZFS as my root filesystem, with the EFI boot loader reading
> > the kernel from the ZFS root filesystem.  This is based on the the
> > FreeBSD libsa ZFS code. https://github.com/snarkophilus/src/tree/zfsboot
> > is this work, and I'm planning on merging into main NetBSD sources soon.
>
> Nice to hear of this.  Maybe it will be possible one day to have a Xen
> DOMU PVH that uses MBR do something simular or even maybe a DOMU PV with
> a ZFS root filesystem.

To answer this part separately...

A prerequisite for root-on-ZFS is that the boot loader loads both the
kernel and two kernel modules (zfs and solaris) and passes the right
info to the kernel to tell it the modules are loaded (this is via
bootinfo for x86 EFI and BIOS booting).  I'm not familiar enough with
the Xen boot process to know if this is possible.

Also my current work is EFI only as I had some funny memory allocation
issues with the BIOS boot loader.  This is hopefully just a simple
bug...

Cheers,
Simon.