Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022, Simon Burge wrote:

Do we have any valid need to have non-critical local filesystems?

Well, I have a dedicated filesystem for builds, separate from my
OS.  The /build happens to be my nvme SSD.

Building (or being able to build) is not critical to having the
machine running (and receiving mail).

So, yeah, I think non-critical local filesystems are meaningful.

But critical vs non-critical is just a question of ordering at boot.
Do you have rc.d scripts that have to run some time between
mountcritremote and mountall, for which it matters to defer mounting
some file systems until mountall?  If yes, why?

No, I have no odering requirements.  If that's all we get from the
word "critical" then I humbly request we change the word!

(Separately, there's `noauto' in fstab if you don't want the file
system to be mounted automatically at boot.)

But there is no "if-you-can" option in fstab.  :0  I want it to be
mounted if possible, but do not abort if not possible.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |