Re: crypt_r()?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 10:27:08AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> That sounds like a recipe for disaster.  It is a complete fail for
> heterogenous environments where the same hash needs to be checkable on
> widely disparate hardware, where a small machine may not have the
> resources to perform the check _at all_.

It is managable and configurable. You can configure your passwd.master
to not use argon2 at all, or you can use the settings on one of the smaller
machines and copy that over to the others (or only ever add new users
on that machine and copy the hash over).

We tested the NetBSD passwd implementation using argon2 on a
SparcStation LX and it auto-configured itself fine. I should
have tested on the VAX and the mac68k too, but updating those was
inconveninent at the time nia did the changes - but I'm sure both will
work fine too.

Martin