Re: crypt_r()?

> There really should be a function that takes a user name or ID and a clearte$

Maybe.  But then you have a lot more failure modes and a lot more
possible attack surface.  It would also mean that you can't check or
change passwords in single-user mode without starting the magic daemon;
that would be a substantial regression as far as user experience goes,
if nothing else.  And what about checking the root password for
single-user boot with insecure console?

It _is_, however, very much in keeping with the "encapsulate
single-purpose code into a single place" attitude that has brought a
lot of benefits.  I wonder if there isn't some better way I'm missing.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign