Re: openssl 3

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 08:44:22AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> What are people thinking about
>
>   updating openssl to 3.0.0 in current

Yes, someone(tm) should do that! Early to catch fallout quickly, but
we'd need commitment from the pkgsrc team to make pkgsrc usefull with
that. I don't think we need to sequence this, thing will follow naturally
from people hitting more fallout.

>   pulling up openssl 3 to 9?

We can't do that. Instead, at some point (probably a bit past the two
years 1.1 will still receive updates) we will have to bite and switch
netbsd-9 over to pkgsrc based openssl.

It is a pitty that security projects like openssl don't care for ABI
compatibility.

Martin