Re: Inetd Enhancements - Include Directive

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 10:39:52AM -0700, James Browning wrote:
 > [...] our current plan is to implement it with the following syntax:
 >
 > !include <path>

The reason to favor .include is that lots of other syntaxes use . for
directives, and most people's instinctive interpretation of ! (if any)
is a shell escape.

it is not a big deal though.

 > Our current plan is to simply implement a max recursion depth, so
 > that inetd will quit if the number of files included exceeds that
 > depth.

If you count the depth rather than the total number of files (that is,
decrement when you finish each file), you don't need a large depth; a
limit of 4-8 is ample and will still stop mistakes rapidly.

(in fact, more than 1 is unlikely to ever be necessary)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost