Re: Waiting for Randot (or: nia and maya were right and I was wrong)

On 11.01.2021 02:25, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Many of you have no doubt noticed that a lot more things hang waiting
> for entropy than used to on machines without hardware random number
> generators (even as we've added a bunch of new drivers for HWRNGs) --
> e.g., python, firefox.

Can we overload the ENOSYS return value and return it for CPUs without
hardware assisted random number generator? This way we certainly catch
real bugs in software that do not handle ENOSYS anyway.

This semantics should work great for linux compat as well.

       ENOSYS The glibc wrapper function for getrandom() determined that
              the underlying kernel does not implement this system call.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/getrandom.2.html