Re: Convention in the output of service rcvar

Valery Ushakov <uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost> wrote:

> David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 07:43:20PM +0100, Rocky Hotas wrote:
>>  > # food
>>  > $food=YES
>>  >    :
>>  >
>>  > Is there any reason for that? What do you think?
>>
>> My guess: someone was thinking in perl by accident and nobody's
>> noticed it since, so it hasn't been fixed.
>
> More likely a copy paste from things like
>
>     eval _value=\$${1}

Unrelated, but rc.subr has quite a few instances of code like

    eval $somecmd

where most likely plain

    $somecmd

is intended.  I don't think another round of expansions inside the
value of somecmd is what is expected here (it seems to be a common
misconception that the command (the first word) is somehow magic).

-uwe