Re: POSIX proposal: make and "pattern matching" rules

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 02:04:42AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
 > A very old enhancement request for the posix specification of make
 > (old as in submitted in 2011) is now under discussion ... the delay
 > as being an enhancement, it couldn't be added in a "technical corrigenda"
 > update, which is all that has been issued since 2011.

Blaah.

I'll try to pull together some kind of posting.

as you might expect, I'm against it because, although suffix rules are
wholly inadequate, gmake pattern rules are only slightly better and
are still inadequate for a number of common uses.

(and that's without allowing the %'s to match slashes, which is a nice
big can of worms in its own right)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost