Re: ssp, __strcpy_ck: just to be sure

>> But [...] __ssp_overlap succeeded to pinpoint the overlap with the
>> buffer declared as an (fixed size) array but not when it was
>> dynamically allocated.
> Correct, the SSP primitives will only ever work for static buffers.

But they are designed and intended to catch stack-smashing potential,
are they not?  In that case, this is what I'd expect, because a
dynamically allocated buffer is not on the stack and thus inherently
has no stack-smashing potential.

Unless "dynamically allocated" here means something like a
variable-sized array or alloca(), which isn't what it sounded like.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign