Re: Empty lines in output of cal(1)

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, Kimmo Suominen wrote:

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:29:10AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
Also note that when using ``cal -r'' it still displays 5 lines of
output, even though only 3 (or 4) lines contain any day-numbers.
This results in somewhat excessive vertical white-spacing.

When outputting a full year (and possibly in other cases where more
than one "row" of months is output) the fixed number of display
lines per month looks more pleasing to the eye, I think.

But in the single "row" case it would probably be fine to suppress
the empty lines.  It would seem unlikely that anything depends on
the fixed number of output lines.  What do you think?

https://www.netbsd.org/~kim/cal-suppress-empty-output-lines.diff

It really doesn't matter much to me.  But if it is supposed to be
"bit-for-bit compatable" with something else, maybe it's best not
to mess with it any more.  :)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |