Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 09:29:52AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 29 Jan 2020 19:33:56 -0000 (UTC)
>     From:        christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas)
>
>   | Having a split /usr makes little sense today though as joerg mentioned,
>   | even in the space-constrained systems.
>
> Space constraints may have once been the primary motivation for the
> split, but (while sometimes still important ... I was unable to install
> FreeBSD on a system I had a while back, as its root filesystem space
> requirement exceeded what could be provided on a bootable device) the
> more important considerations today are the filesystem attributes.

Size constraints for root (and not the rest) seems a bit strange. That's
more an argument for having a /boot filesystem or better support for the
equivalent of cgd-on-root. Both would make sensible features for
sysinst. I'm not sure what filesystem attributes you want to apply to /
that don't also apply to /usr just as well.

> While it is probably unlikely that anyone much cares about exportable
> /usr (or remote mounts it) these days, I certainly care about making it
> read only.   The filesystem block/frag sizes optimal for / and /usr are
> also typically different.

I can understand making it readonly, but why exclude root from that?
Being able to mount /etc is only slightly more tricky to bootstrap.

Joerg