Re: Solving the syslogd problem

martin%duskware.de@localhost (Martin Husemann) writes:

>> splitting / and /usr. Of all the partitioning choices available, it
>> truely seems to be a pointless legacy from extremely constrained
>> hardware with a significant cost to maintain.

>However, we still support a lot of this hardware and often there is no
>easy upgrade path.

The reason for the split might have been size constraints of the root
device 30 years ago. Nowadays it's to reduce administrative costs,
e.g. validating a small root vs. a 10GB large system disk or recovering
from a full root filesystem.

If you only run throwaway VMs, your angle might be different. No
problem to put everything into a single partition there because
you just create a new VM from scratch.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost