Re: Leak Sanitizer - how to suppress leaks

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 08:33:31AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> I'm sorry, I totally do not get it the problem with -- in general --
> writing the code in such a way that it properly frees any allocations
> it made.
>
> I suspect there will be corner cases where it will be really hard, and
> we can discuss those separately. But discussing about adding a free()
> in ps? (If it was done incorrectly, let's fix it.)
>
> Please enlighten me.

There sometimes is a non-trivial amount of work to do to properly free up
everything. This gains us nothing when we know it happens exactly once
before exiting.

I remember timing a compiler pass where the runtime was cut to slightly
about 50% by just avoiding freeing the AST (which was built once for
the pass, of course). This obviously was decades before Rust and C++,
but nevertheless - sometimes the time saving can be huge.

Martin