Re: colorls in base

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 08:04:13PM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 18:29 Uhr +0000 15.02.2019, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >>That's why I have to install XEmacs, tcsh and uucp from pkgsrc. Which is
> >>fine.
> >
> >So the question then becomes: "Is something that you presumably need,
> >since you use everyday 'fluff'?"
>
> The way I see it, you _need_ a functionality (editor, shell, ls(1),
> printing daemon), not a specific implementation ('fluff'). There is pkgsrc
> for the latter.
>
> That is why we ship vi(1), not XEmacs; csh(1), not tcsh(1); lpd(8), not
> cups. And that is why we (so far) abstain from shipping an ls(1) that
> shines in nine screaming colours.

I for one am quite fed up with how I have to replace around 30% of base
to get a usable setup. my set of substitutions are:

- g95 -> gfortarn, because we don't default to modern fortran.
- xsrc -> modular xorg, because I want graphical acceleration to work
  and old OpenGL isn't good
- default modular xorg fonts -> noto-ttf, dejavu-ttf
- change default console font to a readable one (firacode for me)
- default wm not being a usable option
- manually configure HiDPI because it isn't automatically detected

and so on.

I can't hand netbsd to a stranger because I can't expect them to make
the same substitutions themselves.