Re: Moving telnet/telnetd from base to pkgsrc

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 00:06:18 +0100
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:50:30PM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > telnet:
> > 1. terrible code, with many abstraction violations
> > 2. something people expect to talk to their legacy machines, which
> > nobody but them has access to.
> > 3. common use case is served by netcat, already in base.
> > 4. too much superfluous functionality.
> >
> > Let's pull it out as a package, the alternative being breaking
> > functionality for the four remaining users.
>
> Actually, lots of mananged network equipements (or remote management boards)
> can talk telnet.  It still has its use.
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>      NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

Also, you can tie a xen guest serial console to a port and access via telnet — handy if
you want to use screen to manage them, for example.

I don't really use netcat very much, so maybe I'm missing something,
but a program that exists when cntrl-c is used seems less than ideal in many
cases.

It doesn't bother me if it's moved to pkgsrc, but are there people running
embedded systems who might need telnet, but really don't want pkgsrc installed?

HW