Re: Root device independent bootable disk images

Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > The "build.sh live-image" target currently builds two live images each
> > for i386 and amd64, with names containing "-wd0root" and "-sd0root",
> > respectively.  With the proposed change, these would become almost
> > identical, differing only in size and the OMIT_SWAPIMG setting, and
> > probably ought to be merged into one.
>
> OMIT_SWAPIMG was added to save time of dd'ing sd0root images
> to memory sticks. wd0root images include swap partition for emulators.

Thank you for the background.  Omitting the swap area saves less than
10% of the time to dd the image (128 MB out of 1536 MB); if there are
no other reasons to maintain two separate images, I don't think it's
worth it just for that.

> Note one more TODO item is to use makefs(8) -O (offset) option like
> src/distrib/utils/embedded/mkimage, to avoid concat MBR + ffs image files.

That would be good, but I think it's orthogonal to the issue at hand.
Also, it looks like it would require adding an offset option to
installboot as well.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost