Re: Weirdness in /bin/sh of 8.0

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 04:27:34PM -0400, Izaac wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 09:01:26AM -0400, Izaac wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 07:46:39AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> > > So, opinions?
> >
> > Stop.
> >
> > Leave /bin/sh alone.
>
> And here we are.

I for one strongly appreciate that:
- /bin/sh now has great test coverage
- Said testsuite runs without a complaint from sanitizers
  (all ~400 test cases!)
- I can now apply patches that were blocked due to the
  aforementioned sh bug, that was existing in older netbsd sh too.
  It was:
  https://gnats.netbsd.org/52687 -- the bug
  https://gnats.netbsd.org/52684 -- Patch blocked by bug, becuase then
  it would always warn that "pkg" is not found.
- kre has been helping with every single sh-related oddity within
  pkgsrc, even when they weren't always problems in sh.

I've seen cases of people having to deal with code that was supposedly
working perfectly fine and then not touched for a long time. It's not
pretty. We had sh bugs. kre is fixing them.

Nobody is stopping you from running older /bin/sh on newer netbsd. It
will even run with no modification whatsoever. Just swap out the binary.

In pkgsrc for other operating systems we have to swap out their
"perfectly working" /bin/sh, that result in subtle and time-consuming
bugs.