Re: sh(1) BUGS entry query

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:11:06PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
 >   | Similar for * or other special characters.
 >
 > That one not so much, unless the user enters a " (in which case
 > tabcomplete seems to fill in the closing ").  That happens for the
 > space case as well, typing
 >
 > 	ls "foo<tab>
 > ends up producing
 > 	ls "foo bar"
 > (with a trailing space)

If you have a filename "foo*bar", ideally tabcomplete would complete
to foo\*bar.

Which is different from:

 > I'm not sure what is correct (or perhaps "wanted") here, if you do
 >
 > 	ls foo*bar
 >
 > you expect to get all files with names starting foo and ending bar

It's ok for completing this to fail. (Although one can always be
arbitrarily elaborate...)

 > I have no particular opinion, I don't use tabcomplete (or whatever its
 > readline equivalent is) so I don't know what the real expectation is
 > here.

That surprises me... for me when tcsh came out with filename
completion that was pretty much the killer app for Unix, and that's
what set me on the path to dissolution you see now :-)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost