Re: sh(1) BUGS entry query

On 30/04/2018 02:48, Robert Elz wrote:
Back in May 2005. dsl@ added this in the BUGS section of sh(1):

      The characters generated by filename completion should probably be quoted
      to ensure that the filename is still valid after the input line has been
      processed.

Does anyone (including dsl obviously) have any idea what this actually
refers to?

That is,  can someone give me an example of a situation where (however
unlikely) it is possible that "bad things" might happen?

If not, I am planning to delete that sentence.   If there is some apparent
(or possible) problem, I'd like to investigate, and if appropriate, fix it.

It might be that filename completion was more literal.
A quick test shows that a space in a filename is correctly escaped when using tab to complete the name. I've not tested more exotict chars that could be allowed in a filename.

Roy