Re: regnsub, regasub

On 26.02.2018 21:33, Jaromír Doleček wrote:
> +1 to removal

>> Any chance we can remove this from libc before releasing 8.0?
>> it has one user, and the implementation is very specific for a certain
>> use-case.
>>
>> having a DIY one use case function in libc is actually harming the
>> ability to upstream this, aside from the implementation choices.

I'm not the proper address for this request.

I personally find these functions useful, just the regex(3) API (or
strings in general) is not something people like to do in C.

I see no problem with a one-use-case function in libc, as long as it is
well defined and generic enough. I would definitely use these functions
when I will be doing sed(1)-like operations in C.

There are no problems with reentrancy or threading in these functions so
I see no flaws.