Re: Future shell work - comments reqyuested

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 07:46:39AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> So, opinions?

Stop.

Leave /bin/sh alone.

If you want features for an interactive session, use a different shell.

If you want features for a scripting environment, use a different shell.

The /bin/sh is an environment intended primarily to execute scripts.
System management scripts which are primarily written by system
administrators looking to extend the capabilities of those systems.
System administrators who function in heterogeneous environments and who
require at least a certain amount of common functionality between them.

There is no good which can come from drifting away from the most basic
POSIX functionality.  The only purpose of adding features is for them to
be used.  And their use breaks compatibility.  Therefore, the addition
of features breaks compatibility.

I will point you to the ludicrousness of Linux sprinkling bash
everywhere as a map to the hell which this path leads.  Don't make us
into Linux.  ...  Actually, we'll wind up worse than Linux.  We'll have
a shell with artisanal features.  Just like our make(1).  (Don't get me
started.)

My opinion?  Put the compiler down, step back, have a nice cup of tea,
and think really hard about whether what can be done should be done.

--