Re: wc(1) Output and POSIX

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> wrote:
> In article <CAHwRYJnCSvd4q7+O2nAeGjXT8Gm=6WZxJLfi7Cqx4XAibppFfQ%mail.gmail.com@localhost>,
> Abhinav Upadhyay  <er.abhinav.upadhyay%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Robert Elz <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost> wrote:
>>> The last time I saw this discussed, I think that the conclusion was
>>> that where posix specifies a space, other wording permits any number
>>> of spaces.   That means that we comply.
>>
>>Yes, that makes sense for the %7lu, but what about the leading space
>>in the first column?
>
> We could get rid of it, but if we are going to touch wc, we could go
> the FreeBSD way, add libxo etc... But that opens a bigger discussion...

Yes, I had a look at FreeBSD's wc(1), they use libxo.

libxo looks nice actually and seems very useful. For example,
apropos(1) has an API to generate HTML output. For man-k.org I had to
create a similar API to generate JSON output (not committed).
Something like libxo would make this very easy :)

-
Abhinav