Re: Environment settings not taken into account by (portable) bmake(1)?(!)

On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 06:47:54PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 > I am currently fixing the build system of the MUA i maintain
 > because the portable version of bmake looses CFLAGS (and LDFLAGS
 > i think) from the environment.  I currently have no NetBSD (my
 > main machine died last year, my used one is small and
 > resource-restricted), but unlikely that this bug has been
 > introduced for the portable version?

Is this a bug in make or a bug in sjg's make library? Given the
various past issues with that library it wouldn't surprise me if it
were the latter.

btw, much as in pkgsrc it's desirable for build systems to inherit
CFLAGS and LDFLAGS and whatnot from the environment, in general when
shipping software you should *always* set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (and CC
and so on) explicitly and *never* rely on what make gives you by
default, because historically Unix vendors have routinely shipped make
with broken defaults.

(likewise, never rely on builtin pattern rules, etc.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost