Re: PaX MPROTECT gdb and software breakpoints

On Sun 22 May 2016 at 09:29:17 -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On May 22, 10:36am, bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost (Manuel Bouyer) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: PaX MPROTECT gdb and software breakpoints
>
> | I occasionally need to gdb-attach to a running process (usually a daemon)
> | to try to understand what's going on. I think it's important to keep
> | the ability to attach to a running process, which has not been
> | started in a specific way before.
>
> This only affects breakpoints; if we want to fix breakpoints, we can
> at the cost of weakening MPROTECT.

There was earlier mention of a sysctl knob (default safe) to do this.
I read that as being system-global, but it could also be per-process.
Possibly gdb could know about it or at least tell the user about it.
An entry in /proc could be relevant as well.

> christos
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.