Re: dbcool, envsys, powerd shutting down my machine

On 30/01/2016 19:39, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> In general, I personally don't think it ever makes sense to shutdown
> by default when the temperature is exceeded, since most of these
> sensors aren't really all that reliable (especially if you're getting
> them over i2c, with potential bus locking issues and race conditions
> with BIOS / IPMI; getting a bit sidelined, at the very least, the
> sensor values should be dampened, which is what's done in OpenBSD's
> sensorsd, not sure if anything similar is done here).

I disagree with this.
On my IBM ThinkPad z60m, the fan is so knackered it has to be on it's
side when compiling. If the BIOS thinks it's too hot then emit's some
warning bleeps. If it gets hotter then it powers itself down.
I would much rather the system shutdown gracefully compared to having
the power rudely yanked.

Roy