Re: Introducing ARFE

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:27:48AM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> On Tue 11 Aug 2015 at 15:54:44 -0500, David Young wrote:
> > DT reads two inputs and finds a longest common subsequence (LCS) of the
> > inputs where numbers are "wild": one number, consisting of an optional
> > sign followed by one or more decimal digits, can match any other.
>
> That reminds me of "spiff", the "spiffy diff". Once upon a time posted
> to comp.sources.unix or something... it could wildcard integers and
> floats and various other configurable things. It never got popular for
> some reason.

I can see the resemblance.  You could say that they both abstract over
the data in order to make more useful matches than a line-to-line or
character-to-character match.  Where DT matches any whole decimal number
with any other, spiff matches floating-point numbers that fall inside
the tolerances.

Dave

--
David Young