Re: pwait(1) added

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
 |On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:20:27PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
 |>|
 |>|There is no existing facility to get all the necessary data.
 |>
 |> Debian's dpkg/utils/start-stop-daemon.c is portable to multiple
 |> operating systems, including FreeBSD and OpenBSD (don't tried that
 |> though).
 |
 |How does it do anything about monitoring process hierachies?
 |Hint: it doesn't, there is no portable mechanism for doing that.

DragonFly's procctl(2) seems to be pretty cool and enterprise.
But regarding the thread's topic s-s-d may be worth looking at
since it could also be used to address the overall monitoring
situation that seems to be a recurring target of discussion.
And as long as processes don't detach from their parent and
daemonize away to init.  Having no idea, procctl(2) could be
overkill as long as the reparenting can be actively prevented.

--steffen