Re: gcc-4.8.x import

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 07:52:06PM +0100, Anthony Mallet wrote:
> On Wednesday, at 10:38, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> | Yes so for this cycle it will work. gcc-4.8.x gets imported to gcc48.
> | The next upgrade it gcc-4.9.x, gets put in gcc. The one after is gcc-4.10.x
> | where do I put it? In gcc48? Or gcc410? If I put it in gcc48 it does not
> | make sense anymore, if I put it in gcc410, I create yet another monster
> | tree.
>
> I'm probably missing a lot of background history and former discussions, but
> wouldn't it be possible to create more cvs modules to deal with this issue ?
>
> I don't remember exactly the detail of modules in cvs, but couldn't external
> be a module, or even external/gpl3/gcc48 ?

You can't remove the (large) directory tree because you need to be able to
build old releases.

Having 'a' and 'b' trees means that you don't have replications of
unchanged files.
But arranging to alternate between them might be tricky.

What about a gcc_old tree that imports the old version from the 'gcc'
tree (probably as a vendor branch import).

The other option is (somehow) to arrange to checkout a tag for the
builds that can't use HEAD.
Having put down a branch tag (etc) before importing the new version.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost