Re: posix compliance test

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
 |> You need GNU make.
 |
 |If you need tools beyond what POSIX calls for for a POSIX compliance
 |test suite, I would say the test suite is cripplingly broken.  In
 |particular, if a POSIX-conforming make isn't good enough I have trouble
 |taking the test suite seriously.  (Not that it's my decision, of
 |course.)

My guess was that it was a boring and disillusioning ergotherapy
for a beginners department.  It hasn't seen work for many years,
too, when i can trust the web interface.  I ran it out of interest
two days ago and got a ~660 KB log, yet am busy with multiple
reported bugs in stuff i maintain.

 |Or is NetBSD's make not POSIX enough?  Then I'd say NetBSD needs to fix
 |that first.

They use pattern syntax, multiple targets with identical names
etc.  At least the former seems to become part of the next revised
POSIX, but since i always used most-minimal make(1) syntax to
avoid any problems i am no real expert. At least the Makefile
manages to silently do nothing with NetBSD make.  This could of
course and instead also show deep intellectual penetration of
cross-platform make(1) internals.  Intel is on top of the hill.

--steffen
--- Begin Message ---
>> If we can't even compile the compliance tests, then it must be that
>> we're not compliant.  :->

> You need GNU make.

If you need tools beyond what POSIX calls for for a POSIX compliance
test suite, I would say the test suite is cripplingly broken.  In
particular, if a POSIX-conforming make isn't good enough I have trouble
taking the test suite seriously.  (Not that it's my decision, of
course.)

Or is NetBSD's make not POSIX enough?  Then I'd say NetBSD needs to fix
that first.

\ / Ribbon Campaign

--- End Message ---