Re: How Unix manages processes in userland

On 07/12/2013 1:08, Aaron B. wrote:
As a sysadmin, I often care less about the internal details, and more
about what a system provides. What I want to see:

1) Easy to define/install a new service
2) Easy to manipulate a service (enable/disable/restart/etc)
3) Easy to query a service's state.

IMHO, #3 is the ticky part. People often assume things are 'up' or
'down' and ignore the scope of all the other failures in between.

Well, from a service management perspective it's either up or down.
It may have an intermediate state of starting, but that still falls in the down category.

Anything else would be a configuration error of the service, which is outside the scope of this discussion.

Thanks

Roy