Re: hf/sf [Was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/misc/raspberrypi-userland]

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 02:23:11PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> It seems to me this is largely a tempest in a teapot that could be
> dealt with by a simple table, somewhere obvious on the web site,
> showing the mapping necessary to download a working kernel and
> binaries for each common CPU (or SoC).

And that table is... where, exactly?

My point is that this should have been done first.  A simple list of
mappings, kept up to date by the people who work on or commit this
stuff.  Not difficult, and immensely helpful to anyone trying to use
NetBSD for anything.

In lieu of that, the whole arm hf/sf setup just stinks from a
usability PoV.

NetBSD isn't alone in this - Linux is going through this whole thing
too, but at least the goal of the strategy there appears coherent.
We had nothing documented here until this "tempest in a teapot" was
brewed - we have only had a list of the possible variants in the last
day or so.  This sucks, and has to change.  Much more communication
needed.

Regards,
Alistair