Re: A draft for a multibyte and multi-codepoint C string interface

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:09:08PM +0200, Steffen Daode Nurpmeso wrote:
> I would like to continue developing this interface now.
> Since noone around here seems to be interested (i'm sorry about
> that), i would like to use the ISC license instead, also changing
> the files that yet have been posted.
> If noone answers i'll assume you're fine with that.
> Sorry,

Since I'm not a kernel developer and of course not a member of core, my
reactions are only FWIW.

I'm a Plan9 user also so the ability to deal with more than ASCII or
even latin1 characters without having to deal with locales is great.
I'm also the kerTeX developer, so the problems of encodings,
characters, glyphes, compatibility, fonts and so on are a domain
I can not ignore (anymore ;).

If you want to develop user level tools, I (again: FWIW) don't see why
this should be a problem, on the contrary!

What I don't want to see (as a NetBSD user and a programmer) are
"things" starting to invade the kernel or the filesystems, where
there have nothing to do. The base utilities are user level. So as
long as the aim is UTF-8, at the base user level, since it allows
exactly the same as now and more, I don't see why not...

                      http://www.kergis.com/