Re: 6.1 (was Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0)

    Date:        Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:45:23 -0700
    From:        Jeff Rizzo <riz%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | No, the branch happens *after* release, for maintenance.

Oh, I thought it (for the n.m releases, rather than the point releases)
worked the same as the major releases, where the branch happened, and
then was tested (fixed if required) and eventually released, while the
base release  (netbsd-6 in this case) could keep on being improved.

What happens now if someone requests a netbsd-6 pullup of something that
is not suitable for 6.1 ?   (Say a new version of gcc was incorporated,
or similar).   Does all of netbsd-6 just have to stall on the pullup for
however long it takes for 6.1 to eventually become clean enough to release?

  | 6.1_RC2 came out last week.

yes, I know, that's when I went looking to see what tag I should use
to checkout and build that one, and then be able to keep up with any
improvements, but stick in the 6.1 tree (I'll checkout and build what
will become 6.2 (someday perhaps) elsewhere).

Then I couldn't find one - so I used netbsd-6-1-RC2 but with that one I'm not
going to get RC3 without manual intervention.

(I have successfully built 2 ports of RC2 - haven't had the opportunity to
run them yet, but they are built...)

  | (Full disclosure:  I'm heading up the 6.1 release :)

Yes, that's what I thought, which is why I replied to your message that
mentioned it.

kre