Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Mar 26,  2:12pm, tls%panix.com@localhost (Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

| Let's announce the demise of dhclient in the release notes for 6.1 or 6.2,
| then.  I don't see any reason why .0 releases should be special for this
| kind of thing.

Let's just decide what to do; it seems to me the most concervative thing
is to ship with it. What's the downside of that? Disk space?

| I don't see a 4MB executable as a "minor" annoyance.  I see it as one of
| the larger single opportunities to get duplicative bloat out of the base
| system.
|
| Roy has committed to fix any bugs about which anyone actually gives him
| useful bug reports.  He has done an excellent job of that in the past,
| and implemented a considerable amount of backwards compatibility (for
| example, the hook scripts) to make life easier for people with custom
| or complex dhclient configurations.  I can't see how it's sensible to wait
| years more before dropping code we could reasonably have dropped in 6.0.

Yes, and that's a great thing. We are working with him to resolve the issue.
It would be 1 more year... Don't kill it before it has a chance to have a legal
drink...

christos