Re: $$ broken??

>> That's ugly.  I don't suppose there's a
>> ${$_NO_REALLY_DAMMIT_I_WANT_THE_PID_THATS_ACTUALLY_RUNNING_NOW}?

> $BASHPID

> Naturally, your shell must be BASH 4.x or later...

Installing bash isn't much of an option for me, especially not for
boot-time scripts.  (This isn't nearly big enough a problem to override
my dislike for the GPL, especially given the workarounds, at least two
of which have been mentioned so far.)  If I were willing to use an
alternative shell there, I could use my own shell, adding such a
facility to it if necessary.

Still, it's good to know that _someone_ else sees it as a problem.

\ / Ribbon Campaign