Re: launchd port: Worth it?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:40:10 -0400
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden%schemamania.org@localhost> wrote:

> In sum, NetBSD already offers the system services launchd provides.
> Rather than encourage adoption of Apple's framework, it would be better
> to rely on what we already have in the form of kevent notifications for
> changes to /proc.  But we have no daemon-management supervisor to
> start/stop daemons based on those signals, and the existing rc
> framework isn't particularly amenable to that purpose.  SQLite would be
> a good foundation to build such a supervisor.

I think we're in full agreement here, except the SQLite bit.

Existing /etc/rc.d contains all the information a supervisor daemon
needs, and rcorder(8) contains all the code we need to parse it. The
only exception is if a service is enabled or disabled, and a simple
statefile can handle that.

It's a lot less code to get the idea working, and then I can still use
vi to manage the system instead of mucking with SQL calls or learning
new commands.

SQLite is an excellent software package, but I don't want it anywhere
near my boot process.

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>