Re: bin/47597: local and $() don't play well with each other

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:
 |But yes, my point was not that NetBSD fails (it doesn't, though did some
 |time in the ancient past) but that it does not act the same as the SUS
 |says it should (which is how ksh on NetBSD behaves).

I'm confused about this thread.  NetBSD /bin/sh works absolutely
fine and complies to what POSIX says, even you add

  foo=YYY export what=ever

to the example?

 |The question was whether I could rely upon NetBSD's sh not being "fixed"
 |to act like the (absurd) ksh/SUS does?

My personal feeling is however also that the standard is absurd in
that it requires that VAR of 'VAR=VAL util' is treated as an
assigned if 'util' is a special shell builtin utility, but not
otherwise (because who can write stable scripts like that?).

 |kre

--steffen