Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets

In article <rmir4llvyf8.fsf%fnord.ir.bbn.com@localhost>,
Greg Troxel  <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>

>  Add a new "debug" set that gets built when ${MKDEBUG} is set. On evbarm:
>  -rw-r--r--  1 root  src   35806068 Jan 16 10:47 base.tgz
>  -rw-r--r--  1 root  src   57374069 Jan 16 10:48 comp.tgz
>  -rw-r--r--  1 root  src  101286193 Jan 16 10:49 debug.tgz
>
>Seems perhaps ok, but I missed the discussion proposing this.

Sorry, there was no discussion. It appeared to me that nobody cared
about the debug sets because each time there was a change in the
tree I had to go and fix them.

>  This allows always building the debugging code and libraries but not
>  installing it (although now it is placed in the default sets if ${MKDEBUG}
>  is set
>
>This does not parse for me.  They used to be in other sets, and now in
>debug?  Things from base, and comp, all in debug?  I am not clear on
>people wanting debug but not comp, but it's plausible.  Why not _debug
>suffix sets for each?

You might not want to compile, but you might want to debug. I.e.
debug sets + gdb. Think about the case where someone runs something,
and it core-dumps.  If gdb and the debug sets are installed we can
get a useful stack trace.

This was a mess and it still is (various flavors of debug sets).
I am working on cleaning it up. The point being here, is that if
you built with MKDEBUG/MKDEBUGLIB you ended up installing everything
and that takes too much space. Because of this (debug sets taking too
much space and not being separable during install) MKDEBUG does not set
-g to the compile flags, making the use of the debug sets limited.

The incentive for me to do this BTW was to get a RPI image < 1GB with
MKDEBUG/MKDEBUGLIB set which is now possible.

Please let me know if you have any better ideas on splitting the
sets.  I am working on spliting debug to debug and xdebug now so
that it mirrors what we have for other sets, and it is clear that
they should be separable.

christos