Re: Better provisions for binary package updates

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012, Marc Balmer wrote:

> If pkg_add is called with the -u option, the install script will be
> called with the additional argument REPLACE.  This allows the script
> to perform whatever is needed for an update while retaining backwards
> compatability (install scripts that are not update aware will behave
> like before).
>
> Comments, more ideas or suggestions on this?

Do you have any specific example where you can use this now?

I patched pkg_add to add an option like that long ago (but never
committed). See http://gnats.netbsd.org/21095 and search for "UPGRADE"
(in the code and manpage) as the argument for the scripts.