Re: Please consider replace src/dist/nvi with nvi2

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2012, Martin Husemann wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:46:02AM -0500, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
>>>
>>> periodic, cron... too many things sends email to users. Could you tell
>>> me how NetBSD deal with these?
>>

>> Programs invoke /usr/sbin/sendmail and pipe the mail to it.
>

> Yes, and that has been the normal way to do it under BSD-like systems for a
> long time (modulo name changes from /usr/lib/sendmail to /usr/sbin/sendmail
> or /usr/bin/sendmail).
>
> Under NetBSD, the "standard" way of sending email from a program is to
> invoke /usr/sbin/sendmail with appropriate arguments, not to make your own
> SMTP connection.  Even if you don't use the version of sendmail from
> sendmail.com, you should still have a /usr/sbin/sendmail program or script,
> and all programs are entitled to assume that /usr/sbin/sendmail will do the
> right thing.  I thought that FreeBSD also had the assumption that
> /usr/sbin/sendmail would be present and correctly configured.

OK.. I think I understand this part now. I have to call
_PATH_SENDMAIL. Such a change has been committed. The only difference
from the old version is that the sendmail path is no longer
configurable.

https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/commit/1025db9fcf2d71dc9e892befb3830208204cd747

--
Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray