Re: Increasing FreeBSD compatibility in mtree

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32:33AM +0200, Julian Djamil Fagir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > the script and output level as possible, especially since I've had a
> > request to merge the new version to current release branches.  I've
> > implemented all the missing features and made some FreeBSD specific
> > default changes.  I am hoping the NetBSD community will consider
> > accepting many or most of them to increase commonality and decrease
> > maintenance work.
>
> just two things I saw having a short look:
>  * 00-basic-build-r240706.diff - wouldn't it be easier to implement sha384
>    in FreeBSD instead of adding ifndefs? Especially since the disctinction
>    is not taken anywhere else.

When I asked why we didn't have SHA384 the response I got was roughly
"because it's an abomination that should never have been created".  I
don't have an opinion on that statement, but it was from our recently
retired security office so I suspect there is little chance of importing
a version.

In case you hadn't looked at the shims I'm using, we don't actually have
sha2.h.  Instead we have sha256.h and sha512.h.  I've avoided patching
that in by providing a shim sha2.h that includes them.

BTW, I've figured out how to work around the __dead vs __dead2 issues
with an shim sys/cdefs.h and #include_next so that part of the patch
is no longer necessicary.

>  * 01-ripemd160-r240746-r240766-r240795.diff - where do you define MD5KEY,
>    etc.? Maybe we could do that the same way.

They are in mtree.h (a bit less than half way down the patch).

-- Brooks