Re: Common daemon models (was: getcontext()/setcontext()/makecontext() reliability?)

> If the service is very I/O-bound and not CPU-bound, the fastest would
> be to maintain custom state, custom buffering, non-blocking
> descriptors, [...]

Indeed.  When the task is suited to it (little to no inter-state
communication needed) and the server is designed for it from the ground
up, this is very effective.  I've done a handful of daemons this way,
and, provided the task is one for which it's not a stupid choice, it is
one of my favourite designs.

It is, however, most definitely _not_ easy to adapt a preexisting
daemon designed for threading, or one-process-per-client, to this
model; it generally amounts to a full rewrite.

\ / Ribbon Campaign