Re: Support for boolean queries in apropos

Hi,

I have been following this discussion only cursory so this point may have
already been discussed...

It seems to me, however, that creating an interface that is specific to and
only suitable for apropos is a mistake. There are probably many other use
cases where such an interface.

For instance, I frequently search source files using some combination of find
and grep in order to discover where a particular function is
defined/implemented/used. It also ties into indexing of user files using tools
like virtuoso (used by the KDE desktop) and others. I do not know if command
line tools exist these systems -- but if they do or when are created, they
ought to behave similarly to the apropos interface.

Finally I note that tools such as find, egrep, test and probably others all
incorporate rudimentary boolean syntax (albeit different ones).

Regards,
Sverre