Re: Support for boolean queries in apropos

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:24:42AM +0530, Abhinav Upadhyay wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:40 AM, David Young <dyoung%pobox.com@localhost>
> wrote:
> > Just how much extra storage are we talking about?  10 MB? 100 MB? 1 GB?
>
> When the last time this was implemented in apropos, it almost doubled
> the database size. For example, for 7000 man pages the normal database
> size was around 45 MB but with pre-computed term weights being stored
> in the database itself, the size climbed up to ~90 MB or so. However,
> IIRC at that point of time, the compression of the FTS index and
> optimization of the database to save disk space were not implemented,
> that might have saved some disk space as well.

A few thoughts:

1) That's not that much storage.

2) By how much does spending an extra 45 MB improve the search
   effectiveness?

3) People who don't have that kind of storage to spare can just disable
   FTS, no?

4) If SQLite is not space-efficient, maybe it is not the right tool for
   the job.

Dave

--
David Young